Why set Goals?.... Thu, Oct 08, 2015
Top-level athletes, successful business-people and achievers in all fields, all set goals. By setting goals, you can measure and take pride in the achievement of those goals. You will see forward progress with what might previously have seemed like a long pointless grind.
To give a balanced, coverage of all important areas in your life, try to set goals in some of the following categories (or in other categories of your own, where these are important to you):
- Career – What level do you want to reach in your career, or what do you want to achieve?
- Financial – How much do you want to earn, by what stage? How is this related to your career goals?
- Education – Is there any knowledge you want to acquire in particular? What information and skills will you need to have in order to achieve other goals?
- Family – Do you want to be a parent? If so, how are you going to be a good parent? How do you want to be seen by a partner or by members of your extended family?
- Attitude – Is any part of your mindset holding you back? Is there any part of the way that you behave that upsets you? (If so, set a goal to improve your behavior or find a solution to the problem.)
- Physical – Are there any athletic goals that you want to achieve, or do you want good health deep into old age? What steps are you going to take to achieve this?
- Pleasure – How do you want to enjoy yourself? (You should ensure that some of your life is for you!)
- Public Service – Do you want to make the world a better place? If so, how?
Spend some time brainstorming these. As you do this, make sure that the goals that you have set are ones that you genuinely want to achieve.
When you've achieved a goal, take the time to enjoy the satisfaction of having done so. If the goal was a significant one, reward yourself appropriately. All of this helps you build the self-confidence you deserve!
This is something I have been trying for myself for about a week now. Feel free to join me and share your experiences, only good things to come from it!